Friday, October 22, 2010

Last Day of the Fifty's!




Let them eat cake! I started off my birthday celebration a day early at Taggart's. Some of my fun friends showed up to eat cake with me, Heather, Susan, Marlene, Joan, Lois, and Julia. It was so fun having lunch with the ladies, (I am the last of the bunch to turn 60).

I want to share a lyric with you I love written by Carolyn Pearson. She wrote, "Life is for living, for laughing and giving, whether you're happy or not." I think my header on this blog has revealed how I feel about that. For many years I quoted it to my children as they were growing up and I still feel that way.

I will have to edit my profile to I have just turned sixty! As my husband has told me for several months now, "it beats the alternative, being six feet under". I have a family history of not aging well. Quite a few of my relatives have worked hard at not looking older or feeling it too. One of them still thinks they are the world's oldest teenager at age 85.

I recently went to a conference and the speaker told us to follow this quote from Plato "Life Must be Lived as Play!" He had fifty people enter the room in a different way other than just walking in. I chose to yodel as I entered the room, I never have been a quiet person.

About four and a half years ago I had to have a tumor removed off of my right kidney. I was in shock at the thought of having cancer and not being able to live a full life. For eight days I had to wait to have surgery, the biopsy, and then the report from the doctor. I am happy to report the tumor was benign, I was so grateful to be alive. Emily was out on her mission and I was so afraid I would not be able to see her again. Ashley and Eli were so helpful in greeting me at the hospital and staying with me for awhile to get me back on my feet. My husband was the best through it all. I felt and knew my family was praying for me, along with many friends and ward members. I hope I can always serve with a cheerful heart, to my family, my church and friends. So bring on the decade of the sixty year old. I am so blessed to be at this stage in life and hope to be happy and not ornery into my seventies. (Oh, that sounds crazy).

No comments: