Thursday, December 11, 2008

Express Gratitude, Who Me?

"A Group of researchers found that the simple act of taking time each day to count your blessings makes a person more enthusiastic, determined, optimistic, and energetic. Those who expressed gratitude experienced less depression and stress, exercised more regularly, and made more progress toward personal goals. Researchers even noted a relationship between feeling grateful and feeling loved, and they observed how gratitude inspires acts of kindness and compassion."

While listening to 2008 October Conference I heard Elder Bednar's talk and the following quote hit a nerve. "graciously suggested that in the prayer Sister Bednar express only appreciation for blessings received and ask for nothing. His counsel was similar to Alma’s instruction to the members of the ancient Church “to pray without ceasing, and to give thanks in all things” (Mosiah 26:39). " I have since tried to pray only thanking the Lord in gratitude and not asking for things I felt I needed. I would like to challenge you to try this method a few times and read the entire talk also.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

We did that one night and the kids thought we had forgot to ask. So it was good to explain that we don't always have to ask for things when we already have so much. Good Lesson.