Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Super Bowl 19

What I remember about the Super Bowl held on January 20, 1985. It was the last time I talked to my Dad before he passed away on January 25, 1985. I think of how silly it was that our last conversation was about a football game. Yet, my Dad loved to watch TV and especially football games. He didn't spend a lot of time in person attending games, but he loved TV. He would sit in his recliner chair in the basement of the Rosewood Lane house and his snacks were all lined up. He loved candy, pie, and cookies which he called "non essentials" sometimes. He had a metabolism that made my Mom jealous. He could eat anything, as much as he wanted, and not gain an ounce. Mom use to say he would eat pie and not gain weight and she would just look at a piece and gain a pound!

So in someways I hate Super Bowl Sunday, because it makes me think of what I should have told my Dad on that day, instead of discussing football. I know he knew that I loved him and that is all that really matters after all. We thought we would have more time to discuss things, but that was his last Sunday on earth.

Today would have been his 89th birthday!

It was one of the most watched games in history with 115.9 million viewers. This game also was the first time television commercials ran for a million dollars a minute. Joe Montana was quarterback for San Francisco and Dan Marino for Miami.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Thanks for recording that memory!

Scott - Emily said...

I had no idea! Thanks so much for the laugh and the cry! Love ya!